Friday, October 10, 2014

Traveling, Training & Airport Life

     Good morning friends.  Over the past couple weeks I’ve had the opportunity to spend a little time traveling in and out of a few airports across this country.  Unlike the majority of people, I actually enjoy traveling.  I like the time to myself, the alone time to listen to a new band, catch up on a podcast or even finish up some reading that I'd been putting off.  Now if you’re anything like me you hate to sit down at the airport and just wait for your connecting flight.  The other thing I enjoy about traveling is having time to actually work on some mobility/flexibility while waiting on connections.  People have told me that is weird.  Really?  I'll embrace being the weird one that keeps moving the entire layover and can be seen rolling around on a lacrosse ball working out a knot or pulling a band out of my bag to stretch my hamstrings.  The human body was built to move, not to sit idle waiting on a plane.  So I choose to move it and highly recommend you do the same.  And move it as often as possible.  
     With traveling for business or pleasure my biggest concern typically is where will I be able to workout when I reach my destination.  Does the hotel have a gym?  Does my friend have a barbell in his basement?  Is there a local CrossFit gym or performance facility near by where I’m staying to go drop-in at?  That’s usually what will give me more stress then the trip.  I hate missing days, as I’m sure most of you do too.  That’s where the good old google machine comes in.  It’s great knowing that we know live in a time where any city you fly into most likely has a gym that will let you come in for a work-out or two.  Plus if you talk nice to them, they might just let you come in and do your own thing off in the corner of their CrossFit gym while they have a class going on.  Sometimes there isn’t going to be a place to get a quick training session in, that's why no matter what it's important to plan for the worst.  That’s why I always pack my running shoes first.  ALWAYS.  They have there own corner in my carry on.  I’ll commonly pack a jump rope, a stop watch, and on a occasion my home made TRX to allow me to get a great workout in no matter where I end up.  I even heard recently that Joe Rogan, (stand-up comedian/UFC announcer) puts a kettlebell in a bowling ball case and checks it when he travels.  That’s what I’m talking about.  I love hearing stuff like that.  We have no reason in todays world to compromise our fitness because the masses do.  Be weird.  Be awesome.
     I always love to see other people like me in the airport stretching out or holding a yoga pose.  I think that's great.  I know it can be uncomfortable to be the odd man out of the heard of sheep stretching or walking around the airport.  But embrace being the black sheep that made a commitment to themselves and keeping their body in tip-top shape.  My trick is to turn up my headphones really loud and zone out from all the people sitting around me while I'm being "weird".  But hey, there are plenty of gates that aren't being used and there is always a corner somewhere no one else is.  Maybe it’s was years of beating up my body playing college football and lacrosse or my continued weightlifting and pursuit to improve myfitness, but after sitting for 15 minutes my body typically starts to squirm cause something is getting tight or stiff.  My body hates not moving.  So to the gentlemen sitting next to me in 14B, I'm sorry for bumping you a few times.  I was just trying to straighten my leg out for a few seconds of relief.  No need for the deep breathing sigh and eye roll, go back to snoring big guy, I'll wake you up when we get there.
    I wanted to leave you with some of the hilariousness that ensued over my recent travels so here goes.  If you’re ever flying through Orlando, be sure to pack lots of gum.  They don’t sell it there…allegedly it’s a maintenance concern.  What are we a bunch of savages that just crush used gum into the carpeting?  If I’m maintenance I’m cleaning gum up over dog poop any day. ANY DAY!  A man can walk his mini-dog around an airport and that is less of a maintenance concern than a stick of sugar-free gum.  Man we're a weird society.  Then again it's Florida.  Secondly, Mr. Neck Pillow Guy, go fall down an escalator, you'll be fine, you have neck support.  Seriously with the neck pillow though?  Just walking around with it on...At the urinal, neck pillow.  Drinking fountain, neck pillow.  And my favorite, eating McDonalds with a neck pillow.  Did your head all of a sudden gain 10lbs and your neck can’t hold your head up anymore?  You’ve had the same head your whole life, your neck should be well enough conditioned to hold your head up.  I kid you not I watched the man wipe the Big Mac sauce off his face with it.  That's a savage.  And lastly if you’re the parent who is traveling with a child for the first time and you are planning to read to him on the plane, pack a book.  Don’t’ grab the safety instructions for a 737 with pictures and scare the hell out of your child.  You told him it was safe to fly and now are trying to figure out how to finish telling him why we have a slide and life rafts in between his tears and wailing.  Come on...you're better than that.
     Well people, I wanted to leave you with a few no-excuses workouts that you can do on the road without any equipment besides your body and some sneakers.  Here are a few simple “Travel Workouts” for the next time you think you can’t get one in…

1: Run 5 min, 50 Air Squats, Run 5 min, 50 Push-Ups, Run 5 min, 50 Sit-Ups, Run 5 min
2: 10-20 Sets of 5 Air Squats, 5 Push-Ups, 5 Sit-Ups
3: Run 20 mins, every minute do 3 Burpees
4: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 sets of Air Squats, Sit-Ups, Push-Ups, Pull-Ups or Burpees
5: 100 Burpees (My personal favorite)

Enjoy it friends and keep spreading the word,

G

Be sure to Follow on:
Facebook: The Tank Up Way
Instagram & Twitter: @thetankupway
Email: thetankupway@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment