Thursday, September 4, 2014

Practice for Failure

“Practice…ugh, it’s so boring, it’s the same thing over and over.”  Practicing at times can be the most painful thing you will ever have to do.  Repetition after repetition, no matter the task, tests you both physically and mentally.  It needs to push you to your outer limits of your current capabilities.  Without that push to the edge you have no chance to get better.  Without that desire to walk up to that edge and jump off you’ll never make it beyond where you are right now.  People tend to misunderstand practicing as a necessary evil that if done long enough you will improve.  However it is not that easy.  It takes countless repetitions in a quest for perfection.  It takes a person who is willing to be able to leave their ego on the sideline, in the locker room and be willing to be critiqued on their form, technique, and ability, whatever it may be.  Coach me coach.

I’m not just talking about practicing for sport here.  Everyone in life has practiced something.  Cooking, welding, taping ankles, playing the guitar, painting, it doesn’t matter.  The one commonality between all successful people is failure.  And with the failure came a renewed vigor to get back to practicing their craft.  To roll the sleeves back up, take a look at what went wrong, have someone tell them what went wrong, where they were lacking, why it was a miss, and get back at practicing to get better.   It’s a frustrating road, an aggravating road of loneliness at times.  A journey through self-doubt.  A road littered with failure stacked upon failure.  But those are the moments that make you, those are the moments that harden you, that steel your reserve.  Those are the moments that should exhilarate you because now the journey starts all over again, except this time, this time you have the upper hand, you learned, you grew, your wise now.  Game on.

Practicing exposes your weakness’ and forces you to take that hard look deep inside of you to measure your level of commitment and desire to succeed.  Rep after rep, day after day.  If you’re willing to work hard, make the necessary sacrifices, you can be good, hell great even at your thing.  Practicing can be the most powerful tool you have at your disposal.  But it only works if you use it.  Are you going to fail?  Yes, I have hundreds of times, shit probably thousands of times.  Failure is the point of all this, how else do you grow?  How else do you know what your worth?

This past weekend I competed in my first Weightlifting competition.  I had three goals going into Saturday.  1. Have fun 2. Learn 3. At minimum make 5 of my 6 lifts.  Those of you that might not know the format, the competition has two total lifts, you start with the Snatch, you get 3 attempts to hit as heavy a weight as you’d like, then you have another 3 attempts with the Clean & Jerk.  There is a large amount of strategy that can go into picking your opening weight and how to go up from there and all of the little nuances that go into competing in such an event.  This being my first competition I had a plan of what I wanted to do, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

The time came, my name was announced and it was my turn to step out onto center stage.  As I approached the bar for my first Snatch attempt, I felt just as amped up as I’ve ever felt in my life.  I felt great, I felt strong, I felt a youthful vigor and excitement to go crush that barbell.  It brought me back to the opening kickoff of every college football game I ever played in.  The weight I chose was a weight I knew I could hit.  Maybe I was over confident or maybe I was over excited, adrenaline is a hell of a drug, whatever it may have been I missed my first Snatch behind me.  I can count on one hand the amount of lifts I’ve ever missed behind me.  I had a few minutes to think over what had just happened and I actually was completely relaxed within moments.  It took me by surprise how I became almost zen like as I sat there waiting for my next attempt.  I completed the hardest part of the day for me.  Stepping out into the spot light, all eyes on me, in a singlet, and failed.  The rest of the day was going to be easy, letting my practice, my hours on, under and over the barbell take control and just ride that wave.

And it was one hell of a ride.  I finished the day 5 of 6 on my lifts, hit my current personal best on the C&J, with ease, and left that day flying.  Could I have gone heavier?  Yeah, looking back I believe I could’ve.  But that’s what my next competition is for.   I took a chance, I took a shot at something I’d never done before and fell in love with it.  It’s one thing to work on Snatches and C&J’s in the comfort of your gym or garage, it’s a whole new world rolling into your first competition, the spot light, the singlet.

I leave you all with this, go chase failure.  I think that’s the whole point, because without failure we don’t make any progress.  The more you fail the better you get at your thing, then failure won’t come as often, and that’s when you need to push for it.  Try something new, put your neck on the line and take a chance.  Go fail and take this life further than you ever imagined.

“Practice is the best of all instructors.” - Syrus


G

Be sure to keep sharing and spreading The Tank Up Way friends, the community is growing! 
Email: thetankupway@gmail.com (#TankUp shirts still available)
Facebook: The Tank Up Way
Instagram/Twitter: @thetankupway 

No comments:

Post a Comment